Friday, March 9, 2018

Layout Ideas

Before writing this post, I ran into a problem. The blog post I previously published was missing all the citations I put, so I had to go back and do all of the citations all over again. At least now I know for next time to put the post in another document so it is saved in multiple places. It was very annoying to do the same work again, but at least it was only the citations missing and not parts of what I wrote.

Anyways, I have been looking at some layout ideas for my magazine (cover and double page spread). It just so happened that I was scrolling though Instagram today and I saw a magazine cover that I did not like at all.

Even though it is not a food magazine, I still don't like how the storylines are arranged and how the title is above the masthead and is the same size. I think this cover is way too tacky and busy and I definitely don't want my magazine to look like that. Also the number 22 is way too close to the masthead.

For the layout of my cover, I am going to photograph the beignets at both high and low angles to see which I like better. I want the masthead on the top and the storylines on the bottom right. Here are some sketches of the cover:

Full plate of beignets-high angle
On the left-main story

Low angle of beignets.



For the layout of the double page spread, I am still unsure about it. I am going to purchase a food magazine so I can look at some examples of double page spreads. I will put it in the next blog post. I do know that I don't want the picture to be between each page. This is because the photo is the most important aspect for the reader, and I want it to stand out on its own page. Except that I don't know whether to put the image by itself on an entire page or on half of the page or disperse many images throughout.  Basically, there is still a lot I don't know about until I buy the magazine.

Here are some ideas of what I was just talking about:

I don't like how the pictures are cut off in weird places.

I like the organization and how the pizza looks 3 dimensional. 

I showed this in one of my other blog posts. I am considering this for my spread-having the food image on the page by itself.




Something that I haven't talked about is the table of contents. I think it will be the hardest for me to do because it really has to emulate the style of the magazine. Once I buy a food magazine I can see how long it is and make my magazine that length. For the stories I will include in the table of contents, I am going to use these destinations (since it is a "travel issue"):

Nashville
Paris
London
California
Iceland
New Orleans

Here are some table of contents that I like and don't like:
I like the organization and simplicity of this table of contents.


I think this table of contents is too white and has too much text.






Citations:
(n.d.). Retrieved March 09, 2018, from https://hiveminer.com/User/tbdesignwi/Interesting

(n.d.). Retrieved March 09, 2018, from http://cargocollective.com/jinglidesign/Bon-Appetit-Magazine

M. (2018, March 08). 'Avengers: Infinity War's 15 'EW' Covers - PICS. Retrieved March 09, 2018, from http://hollywoodlife.com/pics/avengers-ew-covers-pics/#!10/avengers-ew-covers-12
Cuisine at home Store. (n.d.). Retrieved March 09, 2018, from https://store.cuisineathome.com/volumes/volumes.php?sect=volumes&num=15&type=hard

Prost Magazine - Magazine & Layout Design. (n.d.). Retrieved March 09, 2018, from http://lindseypfeiffer.com/prost-magazine

Nguyen, A., S., X., Lyons, B., L., M., . . . T. (2017, September 22). Cooking Light's 7 Top Asian Cookbooks: Mine are included! Retrieved March 09, 2018, from http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2012/03/cooking-light-top-asian-cookbooks.html





No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection

Wow I am finally done with this project! I am kind of sad it's over, yet relieved at the same time. Here is my CCR: