Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Lighting Techniques

I will not be implementing these techniques until next week when I take my photos, but I wanted to do research on it beforehand so I am prepared. While I have done some food photography, I really wan these photos to look especially stunning, so I really want the lighting to be spot on.

I have done some research and this is what I have learned. When I take my photos I will say which techniques worked and didn't work.

The first website I went to was a blog on food photography lighting tips. This was one of the more helpful websites. It said that shadow contrast is very important, and to use a white foam board to deflect the light. They used their window for their light source, and covered it with a bed sheet to diffuse the light. This is their setup:



They said it is important to add fill to a scene and what type of light to use. I want my pictures to be natural, so I am going to use light from the window. This website was very helpful with soft and hard shadows, and it taught me a lot.

The next website wasn't as helpful, but it also said to use a reflector. They also gave the ISO, shutter speed, and aperture that they use to take photos. Their setup was a little different because they used artificial light.

Artificial light boxes.

I am going to buy nice surfaces to take my pictures on like how these photographers have wood slabs.

Another website said to try different angles for the best shot. They also use natural light. They said using a shallow depth of field is best when shooting a food people recognize. They also said to shoot wide as possible with natural light. This is their setup:

food-photography-tips-diyphotography-014

I also watched the beginning of this youtube video on how they setup their shot. It was basically the articles I read, except I got to see the person actually setting up.

I am going to use natural light, get a reflector, and a nice surface to take the photos. I definitely want to try a high angle shot for my cover. I definitely like the soft diffusion of light the best, and the contrast it has. I have a tripod and my Canon EOS Rebel T6 already. I am also going to use artificial light from a ring light to see which photos I like best.

I am also going to have light coming from the left to get the 3-dimensional look that I have been mentioning in my posts. I am going to use Photoshop, which I am extremely familiar with, and After Effects, which I have never used before.

I am excited to try new techniques and get better at photography, because the only way to go is up!

Citations:
T., V., L., K., J., M., . . . Nurdin. (2011, February 28). Home. Retrieved March 20, 2018, from http://taylortakesataste.com/food-photography-lighting-tips/

L., L., K., Thornton, A., K., T., . . . Happy Valley Chow. (2018, January 18). Artificial Lighting Tips for Food Photography. Retrieved March 20, 2018, from https://pinchofyum.com/artificial-lighting-tips-for-food-photography

Guyer, J., & Guyer, J. G. (2014, May 09). 15 Awesome Food Photography Tips. Retrieved March 20, 2018, from https://www.diyphotography.net/15-awesome-food-photography-tips/

(n.d.). Retrieved March 20, 2018, from http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=food photography lighting techniques&view=detail&mid=910E58BFBD3306D853DE910E58BFBD3306D853DE&FORM=VIRE





No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection

Wow I am finally done with this project! I am kind of sad it's over, yet relieved at the same time. Here is my CCR: