Saturday, March 3, 2018

More and More and More Research

I have also been researching the target audience for food magazines.

I found this article about target audience, and it states that people who are 30+ read food magazines. They also said that it makes sense because most celebrity chefs in the magazines are over 30. I also looked at a Demographics website, which was very helpful, that says the median age of adults who read Bon Appetit is 46.9 years. For Food & Wine it is 43.3 years old. The median household income for adults is $74,935 for Bon Appetit, and $72,563 for Food & Wine. Also, more women read these magazines according to the website.

After my research, I have concluded that my target audience will be middle class women ages 35-45. This works perfectly with how I want my magazine to be about the best foods around the world (the place "you have to eat at"). This is because according to a website about Women Travel Statistics and Women Travel Trends, "The average adventurer is a 47 year old women in a size 12 dress." They typically travel together-91% of females book a trip together. Also, 75% of people who take nature/cultural trips are women. My magazine will be the perfect guide for them when they plan their trip and want a good place to eat. Wow, I love when things work out.

While I was trying to find out what places women typically travel to, I stumbled across a website that is all about Women Traveling Together. Who knew this was a thing? It creates trips that women go on together. I am going to use the places they have planned to go to as the places I will put in my magazine about where they should eat there. Some of the destinations on the website include:

Nashville
Paris
London
California
Iceland
New Orleans

I have also been looking at more magazines for inspiration (I looked at these covers on this website which I mentioned in my last posting), and I wanted to put some that piqued my interest.
I really like how this magazine used the white space for the text, so I want to use this in my magazine.
I like the depth of field and the play on the foreground and background, so I am going to keep this in mind for later.

I want to purchase either Bon Appetit or Food & Wine to look at the typical length of a food magazine so my table of contents makes sense. In my next posting, I want to write about my genre conventions research and look at some layout/font ideas to get a sense of what I want to do. So far I feel pretty good about my idea, and I am excited for continuing the project!

Citations:
Food Magazine Target Audience. (2013, September 26). Retrieved March 03, 2018, from https://li9275.wordpress.com/research/food-magazine-target-audience/

Women Travel Statistics and Women Travel Trends. (n.d.). Retrieved March 03, 2018, from https://gutsytraveler.com/women-travel-statistics-women-travel-trends/

Women Tours and Vacation Travel. (n.d.). Retrieved March 03, 2018, from https://www.women-traveling.com/

Top 10 Cooking Magazines. (n.d.). Retrieved March 03, 2018, from http://www.allyoucanread.com/top-10-cooking-magazines/

(n.d.). Retrieved March 03, 2018, from http://megamediamarketing.com/demographics.html



No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection

Wow I am finally done with this project! I am kind of sad it's over, yet relieved at the same time. Here is my CCR: